Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Night my Life Changed

Today, I thought I would start out by telling you about a night that completely changed my life and every one's life I knew at that time. I was a young, 16 year old teenage girl that was living life to the fullest. I was a junior in high school and all I was interested in was having fun. Well, unfortunately, I was having too much fun. I have to say I got caught up in all the "fun." At this point, I have to thank God for his Grace and Mercy, because I was going to need it.
On October 20, 1990, it was my school's homecoming and I had plans with some friends to go to the football game and then the dance. As the day time progressed into night time, our plans began to change. I believe this decision is the beginning of my life making a huge turn in the wrong direction. Throughout the night, I made a lot of bad choices & decisions. I have not, do not, and will not ever blame anyone for how tragically this night ended. What could go wrong? I was having so much fun.
I was in a car accident that night and fractured my neck, also known as a spinal cord injury. I am now considered to be a quadriplegic, meaning paralyzed from the neck down. The doctors gave my family & I these big long words. They also gave me a very poor prognosis regarding my paralysis. As the doctor talked with my parents about my condition, I believe his exact words were "It will take a miracle for her to move anything below her shoulders and she will never walk again." Fortunately, only God knows how things will turn out. Thankfully, my situation turned out differently from what the doctor's said. I was not driving the car when the accident happened, I was simply the passenger. I choose not to talk about this night very often, because it seems so sad to me. In every way possible, I have put it behind me and continue to move forward. Earlier I mentioned that I was thankful for God's Grace and Mercy, most importantly I am thankful for His unconditional love.
I received Jesus Christ as my Lord & Saviour when I was 13 years old, so I know that all of this happened for some reason. God took care of me that night and is still taking care of me everyday. I could have easily died as I laid there in the car for approximately 5 hours after the accident until help came. I know I was not alone, God was there with me the whole time, just as He is with me today.
I have many things that I want to share, but I think this is enough for now. It did take awhile for my life to start turning back in a good direction. A lot of things have helped get my life to where I am now. Yes, I sometimes wonder how things would have turned out if I made different choices on that particular night. With the life I have, I can not begin to imagine that it could have been anything near as great as it is now. It is all because of God's Grace, Mercy, and Unconditional Love.

I have so much more to share. I will post again soon & pick up where I stopped, so please come back.

Love, April

1 comment:

  1. Hi April, I am a friend of your Aunt Tanya's. I remember the weekend of your accident and how we all were told that your future was bleak! It is so good to know that you are thriving and living a good life. Thanks for sharing your story. Terri Edmonds

    ReplyDelete

Followers